July Draws with Graves; Vows for better showing in next bout

For Immediate Release

Baltimore, MD (April 16, 2014) – Cruiserweight hopeful Venroy “Hardwork” July left the ring last Saturday evening following his eight round draw with unbeaten Quantis Graves as a frustrated fighter.

July, who doubled as a main event boxer and promoted the card in front of a packed house at the Patapsco Arena in Baltimore, MD, battled a highly regarded foe but didn’t get the result he was looking for. For much of the bout, there was excessive holding along with multiple headbutts, throwing both fighters off their game. Ultimately, neither July nor Graves, 9-0-2, was able to take advantage in a bout that could best be described as a power struggle.

Scores were 77-75 July and 76-76 twice.

“I allowed Graves to get into my head.” said July, who has a professional record of 16-1-3 with 6 knockouts. “He did things to frustrate me in the fight and I’m upset I let that happen. I need to be more composed next time out because I didn’t do what I trained for. Graves’ style was also different than I thought. I expected him to box me but he threw me off guard by coming at me early on. Physically, I felt fine the whole fight. After the eighth round ended, I thought I would’ve won a decision but I’m not claiming a robbery at all.”

July, a full time lawyer who promoted this fight under the Hardwork Promotions banner, knows he has to do better next time around.

“Although I’m upset with the outcome, this was a learning experience. My level of competition is strong and I’m not looking for easy fights. Most guys in my shoes are taking easier fights and I’m looking to take on another quality opponent immediately. My goal is to fight for a title by 2015 and beating good fighters is the only way to get there.”

Unbeaten super middleweight Demond “Dbestatit” Nicholson once again showed why he is a prospect worth keeping an eye on, knocking out unbeaten Chris Rohn in 51 seconds. In other undercard action, heavyweight Dwayne “Big Ticket” McRae stopped Jonte Willis after two rounds, Alexandru Marin outpointed Alex Hipolito, Larry Reico and Travis Reeves scored first round stoppages and Taneal Goyco upset previously unbeaten Jeremy Trussell via sixth round knockout.

“The undercard was excellent,” July said. Demond Nicholson impressive and so was Reeves. We had knockouts, decisions and a big upset. We had two of the top amateurs in separate bouts with (Romanian featherweight star) Alexandru Marin and my opponent Quantis Graves, who missed out on the 2008 Olympic Team by losing to (unbeaten contender) Deontay Wilder. I’m very pleased with the card from a promotional standpoint.”

Hardwork Promotions is targeting their next fight card for late June or early July. For more on Hardwork Promotions, visit Hardworkpromotions.com


Suitland, MD (April 10, 2014) – As cruiserweight contender who works full time as a lawyer and promotes many of his own fights, 31-year-old Venroy “Hardwork” July is constantly on the go.

On the average weekday, July wakes up around 6 am to go for a run, comes back to freshen up and have breakfast, heads to his full-time job at Hogan Lovells to work from 9-7 and then goes to the boxing gym for about 2 hours. After many of his aforementioned exhausting days, July heads back to the office and finishes up work. On top of all that, Quantis Graves, the man he faces Saturday evening at the Patapsco Arena in Baltimore, MD, is his toughest foe to date.

Graves, an alternate on the 2008 US Olympic Team and three-time Golden Gloves champion, has a significant edge in experience on July due to his amateur pedigree. The 31-year old Texan is yet to lose as a pro, compiling an impressive 9-0-1 record with four victories by way of knockout.

“For me to become a championship level fighter, I have to beat quality fighters,” said July, a 2007 Graduate of Duke University’s School of Law. “Beating an unbeaten and well regarded opponent like Quantis Graves will help me get there. I’ve seen him fight before and he’s a good fighter but so am I. I’m very confident that I’ll win this one.”

After a brief amateur career, July’s been a surprising success in the paid ranks. The popular Suitland, MD based Jamaican has an excellent 16-1-2 ledger, scoring six knockouts along the way. On January 24, he impressively outpointed Sevdail Sherifi in Atlantic City, NJ. After that victory, July was noticed by former cruiserweight champion and heavyweight contender Steve “USS” Cunningham, whom he recently sparred with.

“Steve is a great guy and a great fighter. We went at in the gym and knowing that I can hang with top fighters like that only adds to my confidence. Everybody in the gym tells you how good you are, but actually going in there and trading punches with a top fighter is a whole different thing. My work with Steve Cunningham definitely helped me get ready for the Graves bout and future challenges.”

July meets Graves in the eight round main event.

On the undercard, super middleweight knockout artist Demond “Dbestatit” Nicholson, heavyweight Dwayne “Big Ticket” McRae, undefeated junior middleweight Larry “Cuban Assassin” Recio, and featherweight Alexandru Marin will all appear separate bouts.

The card is promoted by Hardwork Promotions and tickets are available by going to Hardworkpromotions.com or calling 410-635-4754.

Gunn Jr looks to go 2-0 April 26!

Posted: 9th April 2014 by knockout in Articles


Hackensack, NJ (April 8, 2014) – Junior middleweight prospect Bobby Gunn Jr. will try to win his second fight in as many tries when he battles an opponent to be named Saturday, April 26 at the ABC Sports Complex in Springfield, VA.

On March 15, Gunn Jr. made his pro debut down the road in Annandale, VA, scoring a one punch knockout in 43 seconds. Gunn Jr., who has received rave reviews from boxing insiders for his natural talent and heavy hands, is looking forward to his next bout.

“I’ve been around boxing my whole life and know that I won’t score fast knockouts in every fight,” said the 18-year old Hackensack, NJ native. “My goal is to win impressively in every fight, whether it comes by knockout or decision. I’m very thankful that I’m able to return to the ring this quickly and plan to put on a good show for the fans.”

Gunn’s opponent will be announced shortly.

Fans can contact Bobby Jr on Facebook by going to https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007554614047&fref=ts and tickets are available by calling 410-729-3900.

New York, NY (April 7, 2014) – For the last two years, junior middleweight and charity hero Boyd “Rainmaker” Melson, along with the coalition he is a member of known as “New Yorkers To Cure Paralysis,” lobbied the State of New York to do the right thing.

In 1998, then Governor George Pataki passed a bill adding a 5.4% surcharge to all moving violations for the specific purpose of creating funds for Spinal Cord Injury research in New York. The funds created approximately $8.5 million annually. Sadly, due to our nation’s recession at that time, the funds were redirected to other unrelated causes in 2009 by Governor David Patterson. In January of 2013, Melson was asked to join the coalition “New Yorkers To Cure Paralysis.” As part of this team, Melson went to Albany and pleaded with state officials to reinstate funding for Spinal Cord Injury research.

In 2013, partial funding was returned through amendments, adding $2 million to the state budget for Spinal Cord Injury Research. This was added only weeks after Melson delivered an emotionally driven speech to the Advisor of Assemblyman Richard Gottfried. Since 1987, Gottfried served as New York’s Chair of the Healthcare Committee. This year, Melson and his fellow members of New Yorkers New York To Cure Paralysis united again in Albany, and after great lobbying efforts in front of either Congressmen or their Advisors, officials agreed to reinstate $7 million for the Spinal Cord Injury Research Program (SCIRP) in their 2014-2015 budget.

“Words can’t express how happy I am,” Melson said of New York State’s decision to return $7 million in funding. “We fought hard for the money to be reinstated because there are so many people in need. This bill was created specifically for Spinal Cord Injury research in the state of New York. It was always our money but it was taken from us. We understood why due to the new financial stressors a national recession placed on us, but now we needed to take back what was never truly theirs. We were forced to beg to get back what was always ours.”

Melson was also thrilled that the unified effort helped play a part in the reinstated funding.

“We came together, found the correct words to resonate with the lawmakers and touch their hearts, and they finally opened their hearts back up to us. I consider this a major victory for Spinal Cord Injury research and hopefully the additional money will help with finding a cure. The clinical trial that I donate my purses to and Team Fight To Walk has helped raise a quarter million dollars for, has the ability to receive some of this funding to conduct the clinical trial. You have to believe. There is always one more round in life. The bell will always ring signaling the start of it. You have to decide what you are going to do when the bell rings. Are you going to get up or stay on your stool? If you get up, will you fight back? We got up, fought back and scored a major victory!”

Melson, who has a professional record of 14-1-1 but suffered a serious injury in his most recent bout, is targeting a mid-summer return to the ring.

Venroy July is a legit Triple Threat!

Posted: 2nd April 2014 by knockout in Articles


For as long as he could remember, athletics had always been a significant part of Venroy July’s life.

He’d competed as a young boy in his native Jamaica. He was a high school athlete in the U.S. He wrestled at the University of North Carolina as he was pursuing an undergraduate degree in political science and economics.

sports.yahoo.com/news/cruiserweight-boxer-is-a-legit-triple-threat-180033525-boxing.html